If you have to say “ø#ªö%^&*@$!”, say it in your own language. You shouldn’t be saying it in the language you are studying.
The first words to learn are the words you will need most often:
- Yes, no, please, excuse me, thank you.
- I’m sorry, I don’t understand. I understand.
- Please say that again.
- What does [this] mean?
- How do you say [that] in [English]?
- Could you help me, please? Can I help you?
- Thank you.
Take an hour or two to become comfortable using these few words. It is the first step toward speaking the language instead of just studying it.
- You will have a foundation for communication, a foundation you can build on.
- You will begin to lose your fear of speaking the language.
- You will begin to think in the target language, at least for these words and phrases.
- You will get more out of your classes and studies.
- You will earn the respect of native speakers of the language.